Call for Congress Programme Committee Chair
The Programme Committee Chair is a high-level leader responsible for overall vision, strategy, planning and execution of a well-balanced, high-quality programme for the SEU Congress. The Programme Committee Chair will together with the team develop the Congress’s call for submissions and source suitable abstract management software. You are also take responsibility for the review process and the conference schedule. The Programme Committee Chair needs to build on the work of the past conferences and plan for what their conference will leave to support the next year’s conference.
The Programme Committee is responsible for assembling the Congress programme. This includes:
- Attending Steering Committee meetings, mostly via conference calls. Act as chair of these meetings when Congress Coordinator is not in attendance.
- Recruiting people to fill all Chairs for the Programme Committee.
- Managing the soliciting of session proposals from members and colleagues.
- Working with the Track leads on the assignment and approval of reviewers or Overseeing the reviewing process and communicating the results.
- Selecting invited plenary and keynote speakers.
- Overseeing the publication of a printed program.
- Communicating with the Congress Coordinator and the Steering Committee
- Arranging the schedule of sessions selected by the Team, including rooms and AV/tech needs
- Serving as principal trouble-shooter and problem-solver for conference attendees, presenters and exhibitors
- Writing up the post-conference report and submit to SEU Board of Directors within three weeks following the end of the Congress
- Maintaining records, which include providing updates to the Programme Chair section of the Conference Handbook
- Assisting in the training of the congress Programme Committee chair elect.
Programme Committee meetings:
- Writing an agenda prior to every virtual meeting
- Scheduling the meetings on Zoom
- Sending the agenda and the invitations to the meetings to the team members one day before the virtual sessions
- Conducting and facilitating the session (with focus on time management – approx. 1,5 h meetings, equal involvement of all the members in the virtual communication, paying attention to the technical issues while using the virtual tools).
- Appointing one person who takes the minutes and puts them into dropbox within 24 hours
Ideal Programme Committee Chair Skills:
- Recognizes the SEU mission and values and has a vision for the conference
- Has time to commit to this project, has relatively independent control over their schedule, and can be available to the Congress Coordinator and Steering Committee when critical decisions need to be made
- Has strong organizing, meeting facilitation, and people skills
- Has content knowledge (what’s relevant, compelling, innovative) and wide professional network
- Ideally, experience in using Conftool or a similar tool for receiving proposals
How Much Time Will It Take?
- Monthly, 1,5-hour video-meetings; weekly meetings month before conference
- Some meetings will require follow-up work, average 3 hours/month in the early stages, and can increase up to 10 hours/month during the Congress year.
- Two in-person meetings:
- Two days to review and make final decisions on content
- Two days to proofread and edit Congress programme before going to printer
The Programme Committee consists of the heads of the below sub-committees and a group of volunteers. The overall Programme Committee is responsible for the title, tracks and formats identification.
- Keynote speakers’ Committee
- Academic Track Committee
- Practitioner’s Track Committee
- Film Festival Committee
The Programme Committee Chair reports directly to Congress Steering Committee; Heads of the Programme sub-committees report directly to the Programme Committee Chair.
Two primary obligations:
STEP 1 is to identify the title, the stakeholders, the tracks and the formats of submissions.
STEP 2 covers the identification of criteria for submission of the proposals, the choice of the conference tool for proposals submission, the proposal review and sending the confirmation to the accepted presenters.
How to Apply:
Please apply here by the deadline of 29 February 2020: www.surveymonkey.com/r/MKNGS2W
Then send your C.V. by via email to: President@sietareu.org